While performing research for our review of the Value Line Investment Survey, one thing stood out in particular. While results during the early stages of the newsletter were very impressive, recent performance over the past few years has greatly lagged market averages.
- The biggest: provides in depth coverage and ratings for over 1700 stocks. Warren Buffett mentioned at one time that he utilized the Value Line Tear Sheets to help with his investment decisions.
- Long track record with expert analysis.
- As the service became more popular the buy recommendations have lost some of their effectiveness and the results have languished the market during periods of times.
- High trading and transaction costs if you follow all the buy/sell ratings for stocks ranked 1 or 2.
- Because momentum and growth factor into the stock ratings, the returns are more volatile with bigger drawdowns than the stock market average as a whole.
- The Value Line Investment Survey is one of the more expensive stock newsletters on the market.
Value Line Investment Survey Review
The trouble with most stock market newsletters is they only come to investors once per month. That means that if something major happens in the market shortly after publication, you may very well be one of the last to know about it unless you are using other resources as well. Value Line Investment Survey is leagues ahead of the other stock market newsletters in this respect. They publish weekly, keeping their subscribers in the loop and constantly updated with timely information.
The philosophy that drives Value Line Investment Survey is to follow proven, traditional, conservative trading practices to make low risk but profitable investments. They research and analyze thousands of different companies and rank each according to their findings. Of course, higher ranking companies will be better investments and those that rank poorly should probably be avoided. However, you don’t have to be a stock trading genius to figure this out; just follow the stock advice given and enjoy an increasing portfolio.
Value Line Investment Survey was one of the leading pioneers in stock market newsletters. It consistently receives a four star rating from its subscribers, a sure sign that performance is impressive. In terms of cost, Value Line Investment Survey is a bit more expensive than many competing stock market newsletters, but when you consider the depth of stock analysis compared to the others, it can prove to be a better value for the money.
Of course, anyone who is thinking about investing any kind of money into stock market newsletters will want to be sure that the investment they make is a good one. Numbers and statistics can be impressive, but they can also be deceptive. How do you know that the people who were successful were not already stock market sharks to begin with?
No, you need to know that you are getting valuable and easily understandable information that anyone can use, no matter their background in stock trading. Let’s look at what some subscribers have to say:
• “Value Line is a great service if you really want to be sure of the fundamentals. Top quality research, great data with like 3,000+ stocks, over 18 years.”
• “Value Line is an invaluable resource for long-term investors, providing a wealth of historical perspective (data) on 1700 companies and a solid fundamental approach to analysis.”
• “Value Line is the only service I subscribe to, and have found it invaluable.”
The bottom line? Value Line Investment Survey seems to be a stock market newsletter that can really help you achieve the kind of portfolio you want without placing your financial health at unnecessary risk.